I HAVE just heard the news that Wicken House in Wicken Bonhunt is going to close as a residential youth education provider. I stayed at Wicken House in 1979 on a school trip with Somers Heath Junior School, Thurrock Essex. It was my first trip away and
I HAVE just heard the news that Wicken House in
Wicken Bonhunt is going to close as a residential youth education provider.
I stayed at Wicken House in 1979 on a school trip with Somers Heath Junior School, Thurrock Essex.
It was my first trip away and I had the best week! I am now 38 and have very fond memories of my trip away to Wicken House and the surrounding area, visiting the local windmill and my trip to Thaxted.
You may also want to watch:
This would be a great shame for other children to not be able to experience the great time that I and my friends had on our week at Wicken House.
It was a great place to stay. I have only found out by chance of its closure and want to have my say!
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 7 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 8 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 9 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 10 Dramatic pictures show extent of three north-west Essex farm fires
I kept a project book that I wrote all those years ago about my stay with Barry and all the friendly team. I have always wanted to revisit Wicken House, and now tell my own children about the place and what a great place it is.
I now live in Coventry but this will not stop me visiting Wicken House before the doors close. I hope it is able to remain open, this is a great place for children. I do feel very sad about this! Please, please Essex County Council, rethink your plans!