I HAVE just heard the news that Wicken House in Wicken Bonhunt is going to close as a residential youth education provider. I stayed at Wicken House in 1979 on a school trip with Somers Heath Junior School, Thurrock Essex. It was my first trip away and
I HAVE just heard the news that Wicken House in
Wicken Bonhunt is going to close as a residential youth education provider.
I stayed at Wicken House in 1979 on a school trip with Somers Heath Junior School, Thurrock Essex.
It was my first trip away and I had the best week! I am now 38 and have very fond memories of my trip away to Wicken House and the surrounding area, visiting the local windmill and my trip to Thaxted.
This would be a great shame for other children to not be able to experience the great time that I and my friends had on our week at Wicken House.
It was a great place to stay. I have only found out by chance of its closure and want to have my say!
- 1 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 4 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 5 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 6 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Penalty heartbreak for Saffron Walden as FA Vase dreams come to an end
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Customer Excellence Award finalists
I kept a project book that I wrote all those years ago about my stay with Barry and all the friendly team. I have always wanted to revisit Wicken House, and now tell my own children about the place and what a great place it is.
I now live in Coventry but this will not stop me visiting Wicken House before the doors close. I hope it is able to remain open, this is a great place for children. I do feel very sad about this! Please, please Essex County Council, rethink your plans!