100-year celebration of Quaker church gift
PUBLISHED: 12:26 11 July 2010
A CENTENARY of worship at St John’s Church in Little Walden is being celebrated with flowers and history on Saturday.
Built in 1894 by Quaker estate workers, St John’s was given to the Church of England 100 years ago in 1910.
Prominent Quaker Edmund Birch Gibson made the gift of the chapel to mark his golden wedding to his wife Mary.
St John’s is one of only two churches in the country that have been passed over to the Church of England from the Quakers.
To celebrate and give thanks for the gift, St John’s is holding a flower festival from 1pm to 5pm with a theme of decades from the last century.
There will also be a display of history from Little Walden and the surrounding area which spans the last century.
The village is keen to find out more and increase its archive and would be happy to hear from anyone with any memories or photographs. Tea will be served in the village hall and there will be craft activities for children.