A pint and fresh veg, landlord! Saffron Walden pub starts own farm shop
A SAFFRON Walden pub is set to launch its very own farm shop. The Eight Bells in Bridge Street has been busy sourcing local suppliers and producers in a bid to be able to offer customers a unique shopping and dining experience . The pub has also snapped
A SAFFRON Walden pub is set to launch its very own farm shop.
The Eight Bells in Bridge Street has been busy sourcing local suppliers and producers in a bid to be able to offer customers a "unique shopping and dining experience".
The pub has also snapped up farm shop manager Tina Richardson, who joins the team from Jimmy's Farm Suffolk, which was voted one of the top five farm shops in the country by The Daily Telegraph.
Pub owner Simon Day sees the venture as an ideal way of supporting local produce and Saffron Walden's economy.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "We have always believed in using seasonal, local produce on the Eight Bells menu. The farm shop seemed top be the logical next step, offering quality local produce directly to our customers.
"East Anglia has a wonderful array of growers and producers and the farm shop is an ideal platform to promote local sustainable produce and support Saffron Walden's local economy."
- 1 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 2 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 3 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 4 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Old pirate ship climbing frame is removed for safety
- 7 New Walden mayor announces his charities for the year
- 8 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 9 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 10 Sir David Attenborough, JK Rowling inspire Debden
To celebrate the occasion the pub is holding a grand opening fun day on Bank Holiday Monday August 31, from 11am. There will be an array of activities on offer for foodies and families alike and customers are invited to join in.
The festivities start with food tastings by the pub's chefs and local producers.
Violets & Velvet florists will be doing hand-tie bouquet demonstrations and Saffron Walden Patisserie will be making fudge and other goodies, Saffron Walden Bees will be making an appearance.
Paul Humphrey of Humphrey's meats will join the head chef in entertaining customers with cooking demonstrations. There will also be a rare breed hog roast, and face painting and traditional Punch and Judy show for children.
The farm shop will be open from 10am to 7pm Monday to Saturday and from 10am to 4pm on Sunday. Coffee and pastries will be available from 10am and afternoon tea and cakes from 3pm to 5pm.
For further information about the farm shop or the opening day contact Kate Fletcher, Tina Richardson or Luciana Ferreira-Day on 01799 522790.