All change at centre
AFTER 25 years Saffron Walden Parent s Centre (SWPC) is changing both its name and venue. The centre has been operating from St Mary s Parish Room for the past quarter of a century, but will now be known as the Saffron Walden Playgroup which will be based
AFTER 25 years Saffron Walden Parent's Centre (SWPC) is changing both its name and venue.
The centre has been operating from St Mary's Parish Room for the past quarter of a century, but will now be known as the Saffron Walden Playgroup which will be based at the Friends Matting House on the High Street.
The idea behind the change is to more closely represent the group's aims and activities.
SWPC chairman Sarah Bonsor said the location change refers to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), a document outlining educational guidelines for 0-5 year olds.
She said: "The EYFS curriculum places a much greater emphasis upon the availability of outdoor learning. Private gardens can be small and young children are often denied access to opportunities for safe outdoor activities such as running, jumping and climbing.
"The SWPC committee decided that as we needed to change our name, now was the time to look at a venue that provided these extra facilities."
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 3 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 4 Saffron Striders impress, Thompson strikes gold
- 5 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 6 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 7 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Debbie Bland Foundation launched in memory of kind mum
- 9 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
Speaking about the change of name, committee member, Maria Davies, said: "The name change which stems from feedback we received from users of the SWPC which suggested who we were and what we provided wasn't clear to new and potential users. There appeared to be confusion that it was purely a centre for parents and not a playgroup as well.
"Our aim continues to be to provide high quality, creative play for pre school children along with the chance for parents and carers to meet in a friendly and relaxed environment."
She added: "The newly named Saffron Walden Playgroup would like to say a huge thank you for 25 years of support from St Mary's Parish Rooms."
From Tuesday April 21 the playgroup will run every Tuesday and Friday morning during term time from 10 to 11.30am.
For more information call Gemma Evans on 07800 953072 or email email@example.com