All change at centre
AFTER 25 years Saffron Walden Parent s Centre (SWPC) is changing both its name and venue. The centre has been operating from St Mary s Parish Room for the past quarter of a century, but will now be known as the Saffron Walden Playgroup which will be based
AFTER 25 years Saffron Walden Parent's Centre (SWPC) is changing both its name and venue.
The centre has been operating from St Mary's Parish Room for the past quarter of a century, but will now be known as the Saffron Walden Playgroup which will be based at the Friends Matting House on the High Street.
The idea behind the change is to more closely represent the group's aims and activities.
SWPC chairman Sarah Bonsor said the location change refers to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), a document outlining educational guidelines for 0-5 year olds.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "The EYFS curriculum places a much greater emphasis upon the availability of outdoor learning. Private gardens can be small and young children are often denied access to opportunities for safe outdoor activities such as running, jumping and climbing.
"The SWPC committee decided that as we needed to change our name, now was the time to look at a venue that provided these extra facilities."
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 8 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 9 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
Speaking about the change of name, committee member, Maria Davies, said: "The name change which stems from feedback we received from users of the SWPC which suggested who we were and what we provided wasn't clear to new and potential users. There appeared to be confusion that it was purely a centre for parents and not a playgroup as well.
"Our aim continues to be to provide high quality, creative play for pre school children along with the chance for parents and carers to meet in a friendly and relaxed environment."
She added: "The newly named Saffron Walden Playgroup would like to say a huge thank you for 25 years of support from St Mary's Parish Rooms."
From Tuesday April 21 the playgroup will run every Tuesday and Friday morning during term time from 10 to 11.30am.
For more information call Gemma Evans on 07800 953072 or email firstname.lastname@example.org