All's fine on the vine at Chilford Hall
A VINEYARD in Linton is celebrating a successful harvest and is expanding the number of wines on offer in the run up to Christmas. Chilford Hall Vineyard and Conference Centre has taken advantage of the sunshine-filled year and excellent fermentation cond
A VINEYARD in Linton is celebrating a successful harvest and is expanding the number of wines on offer in the run up to Christmas.
Chilford Hall Vineyard and Conference Centre has taken advantage of the sunshine-filled year and excellent fermentation conditions.
Winemaker Mark Barnes said: "We had a good yield this year, with excellent fruit quality and should produce some very good wine.
"We had a significant increase in the Rondo and Regent grape varieties and this will reflect in the amount of red we will produce."
The vineyard, comprising 18 acres of free draining flinty soil and overlaying chalk, is situated on a south-west facing slope to maximise the sunshine available during the summer months. The first vines were planted in 1972.
Hand harvested, the grapes are transferred immediately to the former farm buildings which now house the winery for pressing, fermentation, blending and bottling.
- 1 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 4 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 5 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 7 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 9 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 10 Nearly 100 homes planned for former Friends' School
The selection and blending of the wine varieties usually takes place three to four months after the grapes have been harvested. After blending choices are made, the wine is allowed to rest for approximately six weeks prior to bottling.
Chilford Hall wine is characterised by clean flavour, fragrant nose, fruity body and good acidity.
The onsite wine shop and bistro is open for lunch and snacks every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 5.30pm. Wine tastings take place throughout the day and guided winery tours run twice a day at 11am and 2.30pm.
For more information contact 01223 895600 or visit www.chilfordhall.co.uk