Alzheimers Society launch new service in Saffron Walden
THE Alzheimers Society is launching a new service for people with dementia and their carers in the Saffron Walden area.
The Uttlesford office of the society is launching a monthly information desk at the Saffron Walden library to provide additional support to people who have been diagnosed with dementia and their carers.
In December Terry Brand will be manning an information desk on the first Thursday of each month between noon and 2pm This service will be available throughout 2011.
It is estimated that there are approximately 1300 people with dementia in the Uttlesford area.
Many people do not receive any information at the time of diagnosis and are unaware of the support services that may be available to help them.
The information desk is one of the Society’s services which will reach out to people to let them know that they do not need to manage the situation on their own.
Dementia support manager for the Uttlesford office Jacky Fitzpatrick, said: “We want to let people know that we are here for them.
- 1 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 6 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 7 Penalty heartbreak for Saffron Walden as FA Vase dreams come to an end
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 Cambridge panto audiences raise £14k for charitable causes
“Often people are not informed about the complexity of the condition, nor are they told about the benefits they can receive which can assist with the extra costs that the illness inevitably places on families.
“For example, if someone has dementia they are entitled to a 25 per cent discount on their council tax. This is a very simple procedure, yet many people are unaware of this saving in their monthly outgoings.
“Terry can provide information and appropriate forms to help people apply for this discount.”
If anyone would like more information about support is available in the Uttlesford area or would like to find out about Mr Brand’s information desk, they can ring Ms Fitzpatrick at the Uttlesford office on 01371 872519.