Ambulance service encourages safety on Bonfire night
IN the run up to Bonfire Night, East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust is reminding people to be safe.
Every year ambulance crews deals with a number of patients who have firework and bonfire-related injuries, and this year will be no exception.
The trust’s spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “Potentially our crews may be required to attend incidents during the lead up to the event and on the night. Fireworks used properly are safe and accidents are avoidable. However, they can cause devastating injuries if safety precautions are not followed.”
“We recommend that people go along to a professionally-organised public display. But, if you are planning to host your own event, we urge you exercise caution and make safety a priority to ensure everyone has a good time without getting hurt.”
In the event of an accident with fireworks or fires you should:
You may also want to watch:
• extinguish any flames if the casualty is alight
• use cold water (ideally cold running water) to cool the burnt area and reduce pain
- 1 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 4 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
- 5 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 6 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 7 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 8 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
• not remove burnt clothing which has stuck to the skin
• not use any creams or oils
• seek urgent medical help, calling 999 if injuries are serious.
For more information on firework safety, log onto The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Safer Fireworks website at saferfireworks.com