Ambulance service encourages safety on Bonfire night
IN the run up to Bonfire Night, East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust is reminding people to be safe.
Every year ambulance crews deals with a number of patients who have firework and bonfire-related injuries, and this year will be no exception.
The trust’s spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “Potentially our crews may be required to attend incidents during the lead up to the event and on the night. Fireworks used properly are safe and accidents are avoidable. However, they can cause devastating injuries if safety precautions are not followed.”
“We recommend that people go along to a professionally-organised public display. But, if you are planning to host your own event, we urge you exercise caution and make safety a priority to ensure everyone has a good time without getting hurt.”
In the event of an accident with fireworks or fires you should:
You may also want to watch:
• extinguish any flames if the casualty is alight
• use cold water (ideally cold running water) to cool the burnt area and reduce pain
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
• not remove burnt clothing which has stuck to the skin
• not use any creams or oils
• seek urgent medical help, calling 999 if injuries are serious.
For more information on firework safety, log onto The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Safer Fireworks website at saferfireworks.com