Anti-social snowballing gets a frosty reception from Essex Police
SNOWBALLING nuisances have been the majority of calls to Essex Police during the 12-hour period from 6am on Wednesday January 6.With most parts of the county under snow, Essex Police has experienced another busy day, with nearly 100 weather-related incid
SNOWBALLING nuisances have been the majority of calls to Essex Police during the 12-hour period from 6am on Wednesday January 6.
With most parts of the county under snow, Essex Police has experienced another busy day, with nearly 100 weather-related incidents ranging from road crashes to broken-down vehicles. However, anti-social snowballing has resulted in the highest number of calls to the force from the overall number.
Police are continuing to advise people to remain indoors despite the respite in falling snow. Temperatures are beginning to dip below zero which will cause any water or snow to ice-up and cause new travelling problems.
Operational commander, Chief Insp Richard Phillibrown, said: "People returned home from work at various times throughout Wednesday afternoon which helped ease matters. The snowballing incidents dropped as soon as darkness fell and we do expect it to be another cold night.
You may also want to watch:
"Our advice to people is not to travel unless absolutely necessary. If anyone does have to take to the roads, then they should take a charged mobile telephone, a blanket and a hot drink.
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
- 10 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden