Appeal for information following double ‘purse dip’ thefts
POLICE are appealing for information and witnesses after two purse dipping incidents in Saffron Walden yesterday (February 16).
At around 12noon thieves stole the purse of a woman in her 50s, from inside her trolley whilst she was shopping in Waitrose, Hill Street. The purse contained documents and cash, with a total estimated value of around �240.
Between 12noon and 1pm thieves stole the purse of a woman in her 80s, from inside her trolley whilst she was shopping in Tesco, Radwinter Road. The purse contained cash, and the total estimated value of the stolen property is around �40.
Police are appealing for anyone with information about this incident to contact officers at Saffron Walden police station on 0300 3334444, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The key things to remember to keep your valuables safe are:
You may also want to watch:
• NEVER let your handbag out of your sight. Carry it in front of you – especially if you’re walking through a shop or a town centre.
• AVOID carrying large amounts of cash, and if your purse or wallet is in a bag, ensure that bag is securely zipped up.
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
- 10 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
• KEEP your purse or wallet safe at all times. Don’t leave it in your shopping basket, on restaurant or coffee tables, or on shop counters.
Theft can happen very quickly, and you may not notice you’ve been a victim until you next have to make a purchase.