Appeal for information following double ‘purse dip’ thefts
POLICE are appealing for information and witnesses after two purse dipping incidents in Saffron Walden yesterday (February 16).
At around 12noon thieves stole the purse of a woman in her 50s, from inside her trolley whilst she was shopping in Waitrose, Hill Street. The purse contained documents and cash, with a total estimated value of around �240.
Between 12noon and 1pm thieves stole the purse of a woman in her 80s, from inside her trolley whilst she was shopping in Tesco, Radwinter Road. The purse contained cash, and the total estimated value of the stolen property is around �40.
Police are appealing for anyone with information about this incident to contact officers at Saffron Walden police station on 0300 3334444, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The key things to remember to keep your valuables safe are:
You may also want to watch:
• NEVER let your handbag out of your sight. Carry it in front of you – especially if you’re walking through a shop or a town centre.
• AVOID carrying large amounts of cash, and if your purse or wallet is in a bag, ensure that bag is securely zipped up.
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 4 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 5 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 6 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 7 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 8 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 9 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 10 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
• KEEP your purse or wallet safe at all times. Don’t leave it in your shopping basket, on restaurant or coffee tables, or on shop counters.
Theft can happen very quickly, and you may not notice you’ve been a victim until you next have to make a purchase.