Arsenal stars to take on Sporting Hinton in Saffron Walden charity match
AN ARSENAL team made up of former players and celebrities will star in an exhibition match on the turf at Catons Lane, Saffron Walden, on Sunday October 4. The Arsenal Ex-Pro and Celebrity XI will take on Sporting Hinton to help raise money to pay for the
AN ARSENAL team made up of former players and celebrities will star in an exhibition match on the turf at Catons Lane, Saffron Walden, on Sunday October 4.
The Arsenal Ex-Pro and Celebrity XI will take on Sporting Hinton to help raise money to pay for the restoration of St Mary's Church, Newport.
The Cambridge-based club previously played at Saffron Walden Town Football Club's ground when they faced the Chelsea Old Boys to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Manager of Sporting Hinton, Clive Edwards, said: "Playing in games such as these are a massive coup for the club and the players, last year's event proved what a success they can be and I am really pleased that we will be able to offer the same success to such an important local charity."
You may also want to watch:
The Friends of St Mary's are trying to raise about �500,000 to fully restore the parish church. They have been actively fundraising for the last year and have raised almost �40,000 so far.
All profits from the game will go to towards the fund with a small donation being made to the Arsenal Charitable Trust.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 3 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 4 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 5 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 10 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
Entertainment on the day starts at 12:30pm and will include a pre-match penalty shootout as well as face painting and there will be prizes on offer during a halftime raffle. There is also the chance for one child to lead out the Arsenal side on the day. Kick off is at 2.30pm.
Tickets cost �5 for adults and �3 for children (under 14) and seating will be on a strictly first come first served basis. Tickets are now on sale at Costcutters in Newport, the Newport Post Office and from Saffron Walden Town FC.
Alternatively, tickets can be purchased by calling 01799 542044 or emailing email@example.com. Sporting Hinton Football Club will be selling tickets and cakes outside the library in Saffron Walden on the three Saturdays prior to the game.