Arsenal stars to take on Sporting Hinton in Saffron Walden charity match
AN ARSENAL team made up of former players and celebrities will star in an exhibition match on the turf at Catons Lane, Saffron Walden, on Sunday October 4. The Arsenal Ex-Pro and Celebrity XI will take on Sporting Hinton to help raise money to pay for the
AN ARSENAL team made up of former players and celebrities will star in an exhibition match on the turf at Catons Lane, Saffron Walden, on Sunday October 4.
The Arsenal Ex-Pro and Celebrity XI will take on Sporting Hinton to help raise money to pay for the restoration of St Mary's Church, Newport.
The Cambridge-based club previously played at Saffron Walden Town Football Club's ground when they faced the Chelsea Old Boys to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care.
Manager of Sporting Hinton, Clive Edwards, said: "Playing in games such as these are a massive coup for the club and the players, last year's event proved what a success they can be and I am really pleased that we will be able to offer the same success to such an important local charity."
The Friends of St Mary's are trying to raise about �500,000 to fully restore the parish church. They have been actively fundraising for the last year and have raised almost �40,000 so far.
All profits from the game will go to towards the fund with a small donation being made to the Arsenal Charitable Trust.
- 1 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 2 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 3 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 6 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 7 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 8 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 9 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 10 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
Entertainment on the day starts at 12:30pm and will include a pre-match penalty shootout as well as face painting and there will be prizes on offer during a halftime raffle. There is also the chance for one child to lead out the Arsenal side on the day. Kick off is at 2.30pm.
Tickets cost �5 for adults and �3 for children (under 14) and seating will be on a strictly first come first served basis. Tickets are now on sale at Costcutters in Newport, the Newport Post Office and from Saffron Walden Town FC.
Alternatively, tickets can be purchased by calling 01799 542044 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Sporting Hinton Football Club will be selling tickets and cakes outside the library in Saffron Walden on the three Saturdays prior to the game.