Arsonists set Saffron Walden school changing rooms alight
FIRE investigation officers have said arsonists who started a fire in a Saffron Walden school s changing rooms could have killed someone. Crews from Saffron Walden and Thaxted were called to Saffron Walden County High School, Audley End Road, shortly afte
FIRE investigation officers have said arsonists who started a fire in a Saffron Walden school's changing rooms could have killed someone.
Crews from Saffron Walden and Thaxted were called to Saffron Walden County High School, Audley End Road, shortly after 3pm on Friday.
Firefighters wore two sets of breathing apparatus and used one dry powder extinguisher to put out the flames in the girls changing rooms in D block. They then used a positive pressure ventilation fan, a large fan which clears smoke from buildings.
Station officer Ian Adams, a member of the fire investigation team, said police scenes of crime investigators have been called in because of the very serious nature of the fire.
"It could have been fatal and we will be treating this very seriously," he said.
"It appears that someone decided to set fire to one of the toilet roll holders in one of the changing rooms without any thought or consideration for the safety of teachers and children at the school.
- 1 Toaster joy: Radwinter Repair Cafe to the rescue
- 2 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Hands-on archaeology, beacons and picnics: Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 8 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 10 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
"There will be a joint police and fire service investigation and we will be assisting the police as much as we can to ensure those responsible understand the consequences of their actions."
He added: "But for the quick action of crews this incident could have been much more serious, both in terms of potential damage to the school and serious casualties."
Anyone who has information about the incident should call Saffron Walden police station on 0300 333 4444.