Arsonists strike again at Stansted school
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to a derelict school in Stansted last night (Tuesday August 16).
The old school hall, at former St Mary’s primary in St John’s Road, was reported to be ablaze at 6.42pm and two fire crews were sent to the scene.
Thermal imaging, hose jets and ventilation fans were used to clear the smoke and extinguish the fire by just before 8pm.
This is not the first time arsonists have targeted the building, as last February a blaze was deliberately started in an old classroom.
After the old primary moved premises in November 2012, Burnt Mill Academy Trust was given the green light to open on the site in September 2017.
While they are completing the whole new school reception children will start at The Magna Carta Primary Academy in September this year, which is also on the site.
They are aiming to provide an “enriching curriculum, including high quality sport and musical tuition”.
- 1 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 2 District Council leader John Lodge to step down next week
- 3 Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- 4 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 5 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 6 MP Kemi Badenoch launches 'Buy One More Toy Appeal' for Christmas support
- 7 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 8 Community helps with tree planting at Lime Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 9 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 10 How to get tickets for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022