New book features illustrations of Bridge End Garden
- Credit: Tony White
Newport artist Tony White has produced a book based on his sketches of features in and around the Bridge End Garden in Saffron Walden.
The publication 'The Bridge End Garden, a visual exploration' was created from drawings he made in a sketchbook during July after the gardens re-opened following the period of lockdown which began in March.
Proceeds from new book will support Alzheimer's Society and the Great Ormond Street Hospital charity.
Tony said: "I decided to publish the sketches in a book as a record and tribute to the gardens and in aid of charity.
"The garden is a great asset to the town but there there are few publications relating to it."
The sketch book was produced in anticipation of his daughter's planned wedding and reception which had been due to be held in the walled garden in August.
Changing coronavirus rules meant the reception was cancelled a week before the wedding day.
- 1 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 2 High Street shop staff will 'miss Saffron Walden community'
- 3 Footpath sign that points to wall is likened to Harry Potter book
- 4 Summer holiday catch-up classes among ideas being raised
- 5 Boy, five, who could wave cancer goodbye this year dances with twin brother
- 6 Uttlesford sees sharp fall in Covid-19 infections
- 7 Plan to convert town restaurant into homes
- 8 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 9 Another business permanently closes its doors in Saffron Walden
- 10 Telephone exchange fetches nearly £100,000 at auction
However, the ceremony did take place with social-distancing and masks in Saffron Walden Town Hall - the first one to be held there since the start of the lockdown.
Tony said: "The book is a collection of drawings and my recollection of some of the scenes, shapes and structures on a walk through the garden.
"If anything it is a tribute to those who have helped to restore and maintain the garden for the benefit of locals and visitors."
Tony has been creating a series of sketchbooks since 1988, and his drawings from the garden fill his latest book - the 37th he has created.
It joins his previous publication, Newport Walks, a book of sketches from his daily walks around the village, which is currently being sold in aid of the Newport Pond charity and Fairycroft House Arts and Media Centre.
He has also put together a book of drawings from around his home and garden.
The Bridge End Garden, a visual exploration, is available from the Saffron Walden Tourist Information centre online shop www.visitsaffronwalden.gov.uk for posting or for collection.
It can also be purchased at Newport Village Stores (Nisa), High Street, Newport.