Ashdon homes to be protected from floods
VULNERABLE homes in Ashdon will be protected against flooding thanks to a grant of nearly �80,000. The money will be spent on protecting 14 homes which have all previously been affected by the flooding of the River Bourn which runs through the village. Th
VULNERABLE homes in Ashdon will be protected against flooding thanks to a grant of nearly �80,000.
The money will be spent on protecting 14 homes which have all previously been affected by the flooding of the River Bourn which runs through the village.
The money was applied for by Uttlesford District Council under a scheme set up by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).
The grant allows a figure �5700 per property and includes the cost of a survey to determine the most appropriate works for each house. These may include protection, by means of dam boards for doors, air brick covers or waterproofing.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme will be administered by the council but the aim is that the residents will play a full part in determining how and where the money is spent. The council will be working with Defra to progress the works as quickly as possible.
Secretary of State for Defra Hilary Benn said: "While we're investing in more flood defence schemes, we need to recognise that in some areas, flooding can't always be prevented. That's why we're helping households across England to become more resilient to floods by protecting their homes from the damage and destruction that can be caused.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 4 Town council backs new support club
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 9 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 10 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list