Auction of Barbara Hepworth artwork could fetch £90,000
- Credit: Archant
A BRONZE cast by the celebrated sculptor, Dame Barbara Hepworth, is due to go under the hammer next week at an Essex auctioneers, with art experts estimating it could fetch between £70,000 and £90,000.
The piece, which is just 13cm high and 24cm long, will be one of the lots at a two-day auction at Sworders Fine Art Auctioneers.
is a cast of one of her earlier works, which was originally created in alabaster in 1952. The cast is mounted on a wooden plinth and is described as a ‘Figure in a Landscape (Zennor)’. It was bought directly from the artist in 1966 and has been in the same family since that time.
Director at Sworders, John Black, said: “This bronze is a very significant piece and is one of only seven ever cast. Her iconic work made a significant contribution to post-war modernism and is becoming increasingly sought after.”
As one of the biggest 20th century art sales ever held by Sworders, the sale of 875 lots has been scheduled across two days, and will take place on Monday (September 9) and Tuesday (September 10) at the company’s saleroom in Stansted Mounfitchet.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Black added: “In recent years we have seen a resurgence in popularity of furniture from the last century. Buyers are attracted by its modern looks and clean lines, which fit well in today’s homes.
“It’s rare to get such a quantity of good quality items – including 400 lots of furniture and 40 lots of Clarice Cliff pottery and Whitefriars Glass. There’s something to suit all budgets.”
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 8 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
The auction also includes a number of Art Deco pieces, including a bronze bust of a lady, evocative of the 1920s, by the British artist and sculptor, Frank Dobson. This has the remnants of an Internazionale d’Arte Venezia 1928 label on its base and is expected to fetch in excess of £5,000.
The second day of the sale concentrates on furniture from the Arts and Crafts and Art Deco periods, through to the late 20th century and Danish design.
This will include a Bwana chair designed by Finn Juhl for France & Son, a striking piece made from rosewood with a red leather seat and back, which has a starting price of £1,500.