Audley End hosts a cracking Last night of the Proms
CLOUDS gathered and rain threatened but on the Last Night of the Proms at Audley End Proms the only thing whipping up a storm were the artists on stage.
On Sunday hundreds of people flocked to the last picnic concert of the year to witness a spectacular event which included a wartime Spitfire swoop overhead to the sound of the Dambusters March and the sound of 633 squadron.
Men’s choir Only Men Aloud and Welshman Wynne Evans joined the frock-loving Lesley Garrett to sing hit after hit accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra.
During a great British finale fans waved union jacks and sang along to tunes such as Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory. Fireworks then burst into the night sky.
Audience member Paul Thompson, travelled down from Leicester to see the show. “It was terrific,” he said. “We will definitely be coming back next year.”
WHAT did you think of the proms this year? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.
- 1 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 2 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 3 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 4 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 5 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 6 Thaxted businesses meet Kemi Badenoch MP to talk about Small Business Saturday
- 7 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
- 8 Bumper weekend of Christmas events set for Saffron Walden
- 9 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
- 10 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter