Author ploughs through the long history of Essex farming
A NEW book, written by a Saffron Walden author, on the history of local farming will be published tomorrow (June 5). Land Agriculture and Industry is North-west Essex is written by Geoffrey Bell, who spent his career in the farming industry both in Britai
A NEW book, written by a Saffron Walden author, on the history of local farming will be published tomorrow (June 5).
Land Agriculture and Industry is North-west Essex is written by Geoffrey Bell, who spent his career in the farming industry both in Britain and abroad, and brings a lifetime of experience to this exploration of its history.
Historically Walden was a market town at the centre of a highly productive countryside, where vital industries in wool production and malting developed from its products. The book also delves into the history of various farms in the area and is fully illustrated.
It is edited by Jacqueline Cooper and is being published under the title of SWHS Publications, a new venture by the Saffron Walden Historical Society, who already publish the Saffron Walden Historical Journal.
You may also want to watch:
The idea is to offer scope for the publication of longer works of original research relating to NW Essex. The author and editorial team give their time freely, so that all income goes towards future local history publications.
Copies of the book, which has 100 pages and 41 illustrations, can be purchased for �7.50 after June 5 from the Tourist Information Centre on Market Square. For postal copies, enquiries can be made by phoning 01799 521913 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 6 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 7 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 8 Care home chef Ben Morris shortlisted for award
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler