Author ploughs through the long history of Essex farming
A NEW book, written by a Saffron Walden author, on the history of local farming will be published tomorrow (June 5). Land Agriculture and Industry is North-west Essex is written by Geoffrey Bell, who spent his career in the farming industry both in Britai
A NEW book, written by a Saffron Walden author, on the history of local farming will be published tomorrow (June 5).
Land Agriculture and Industry is North-west Essex is written by Geoffrey Bell, who spent his career in the farming industry both in Britain and abroad, and brings a lifetime of experience to this exploration of its history.
Historically Walden was a market town at the centre of a highly productive countryside, where vital industries in wool production and malting developed from its products. The book also delves into the history of various farms in the area and is fully illustrated.
It is edited by Jacqueline Cooper and is being published under the title of SWHS Publications, a new venture by the Saffron Walden Historical Society, who already publish the Saffron Walden Historical Journal.
You may also want to watch:
The idea is to offer scope for the publication of longer works of original research relating to NW Essex. The author and editorial team give their time freely, so that all income goes towards future local history publications.
Copies of the book, which has 100 pages and 41 illustrations, can be purchased for �7.50 after June 5 from the Tourist Information Centre on Market Square. For postal copies, enquiries can be made by phoning 01799 521913 or emailing email@example.com
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 7 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 8 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 9 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
- 10 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays