BBC presenter Michael Wood brings Saffron Walden Literature Festival to a triumphant close
SAFFRON Walden’s literature festival has been branded a massive success by organisers as it came to a close on Friday.
BBC presenter and historian Michael Wood brought the month-long classic words – organised by Harts Events in the town – to a triumphant ending as he enthralled his audience with findings from his television show Story of England.
His talk was the third sell-out of the festival. Art critic Brian Sewell and MI5’s official historian Professor Chris Andrew held talks and discussions to packed houses.
Organiser Jo Burch described the festival as the “best yet”.
She said: “Michael is passionate about inspiring a love of history in his audience.
You may also want to watch:
“He’d obviously worked his magic on most of the audience already with his previous TV series, like In Search of the Dark Ages and The Story of India, as tickets sold out weeks ago. Those who managed to get seats were well-rewarded.”
She added: “We are enormously grateful to all those who have made this our most successful festival to date.
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
“Without the support of the Tourist Information Centre, our sponsors Dame Bradbury’s School and Friends’ School, the local papers, our volunteers and of course, everyone who came to our events, we could not function.”
Plans are already underway for the next literature festival, due to be held in March.
If anyone has any ideas for speakers they would like organiser to invite, get in touch either by calling 01799 523456 or e-mailing through the website at hartsevents.co.uk