BBC presenter Michael Wood brings Saffron Walden Literature Festival to a triumphant close
SAFFRON Walden’s literature festival has been branded a massive success by organisers as it came to a close on Friday.
BBC presenter and historian Michael Wood brought the month-long classic words – organised by Harts Events in the town – to a triumphant ending as he enthralled his audience with findings from his television show Story of England.
His talk was the third sell-out of the festival. Art critic Brian Sewell and MI5’s official historian Professor Chris Andrew held talks and discussions to packed houses.
Organiser Jo Burch described the festival as the “best yet”.
She said: “Michael is passionate about inspiring a love of history in his audience.
You may also want to watch:
“He’d obviously worked his magic on most of the audience already with his previous TV series, like In Search of the Dark Ages and The Story of India, as tickets sold out weeks ago. Those who managed to get seats were well-rewarded.”
She added: “We are enormously grateful to all those who have made this our most successful festival to date.
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 3 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 4 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 5 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 6 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 7 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 8 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 9 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 10 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
“Without the support of the Tourist Information Centre, our sponsors Dame Bradbury’s School and Friends’ School, the local papers, our volunteers and of course, everyone who came to our events, we could not function.”
Plans are already underway for the next literature festival, due to be held in March.
If anyone has any ideas for speakers they would like organiser to invite, get in touch either by calling 01799 523456 or e-mailing through the website at hartsevents.co.uk