Bid to stop Grove Hill Traffic Chaos
A PETITION has been launched calling for urgent action to stop traffic chaos on a Stansted Mountfitchet road. People living on Grove Hill are fed up with the long queues which stretch for up to half-a-mile along the road from the traffic lights. A petitio
A PETITION has been launched calling for urgent action to stop traffic chaos on a Stansted Mountfitchet road.
People living on Grove Hill are fed up with the long queues which stretch for up to half-a-mile along the road from the traffic lights.
A petition to stop parking on the hill near to the lights - which causes the long delays - has been set up by resident Diane Macfarlane and district councillor for Stansted Cllr Alan Dean.
"Last week it took me 17 minutes to drive about 300 yards," said Cllr Dean. "Even if the lights are green it can get so gridlocked that nothing moves."
You may also want to watch:
The traffic lights control a narrow single-file section of the Stansted to Elsenham road which currently has no parking restrictions.
"One idea is to put waiting restriction yellow lines near to the lights by some of the cottages," said Cllr Dean. "Many of the residents want this. They don't park in front of their own homes as they know the chaos that it causes - angry drivers, honking horns, lorries mounting the pavement, the list goes on."
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
Cllr Dean has sent a letter to all of the residents on Grove Hill and is collecting signatures to encourage Essex County Council (ECC) Highways to take action.
A Stansted Parish Council transport working group, with a representative from ECC Highways, was due to be held on Wednesday, after the Reporter went to print. Cllr Dean said he would be pushing for action.
"After months of complaints and letter writing, people on Grove Hill really do want some urgent action," said Cllr Dean. "I know this will be welcomed by hundreds of motorists who use Grove Hill each day."
Anyone who would like to put their name to the petition can contact Cllr Dean via email on email@example.com or by telephone on 01279 813579.