Big Swap for Fairtrade Fortnight in Saffron Walden
THE theme behind this year s Fairtrade Fortnight will be The Big Swap. Fairtrade Fortnight runs from February 23 to March 7. A spokesman said: Once upon a time you could only get tea and coffee, now the Fairtrade logo can be found on thousands of product
THE theme behind this year's Fairtrade Fortnight will be The Big Swap.
Fairtrade Fortnight runs from February 23 to March 7.
A spokesman said: "Once upon a time you could only get tea and coffee, now the Fairtrade logo can be found on thousands of products ranging from fruit, chocolate, clothes, flowers, to beer and footballs - so there is something for everybody.
"With this increase in availability the Fairtrade Foundation is asking people to swap their usual stuff for Fairtrade items.
You may also want to watch:
"They then want people to register what they have swapped, because every swap will be proof that people in the UK want producers in the developing world to get a fairer deal."
As part of The Big Swap, Tradecraft is focussing on the tea industry under the heading Big Brew. Fairtrade is the only way that guarantees tea producers a minimum price for their tea and pays an extra premium for farmers and workers to invest in their communities
- 1 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 2 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 3 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 4 Town council backs new support club
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 9 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
As part of the campaigns, Abbey Lane and Newport URC will be hosting two coffee mornings at 55a Wicken Road, Newport.
They will be on Tuesday 23 and Saturday 27 February, from 10.15am to 11.45am. As well as enjoying a cup of Fairtrade tea or coffee and eating a delicious Fairtrade biscuit or piece of cake, there's the chance to test your knowledge with the "Big Brew" tea quiz. All proceeds will be donated to the Oxfam Haiti earthquake appeal.
For more information on Fairtrade Fortnight visit www.fairtrade.org.uk/thebigswap or call 020 7405 5942.