Blaze at Saffron Walden Cricket Club
A FIRE has caused substantial damage to Saffron Walden Cricket Pavilion just weeks before the start of the new season. Station Officer Ritchie Farrant said: A bonfire was started in front of the steps outside the building on Tuesday evening. We received
A FIRE has caused substantial damage to Saffron Walden Cricket Pavilion just weeks before the start of the new season.
Station Officer Ritchie Farrant said: "A bonfire was started in front of the steps outside the building on Tuesday evening. We received a call at 9.10pm and by the time we arrived the building was well alight.
"It looks like the contents of a waste bin were set on fire; also a piece of carpet has been dragged over and added to the flames."
Two fire engines and 10 firefighters from Saffron Walden spent two hours tackling the blaze at the Anglo American Playing Fields, Catons Lane. Firefighters used a piece of equipment called a spray plate to protect a nearby propane gas tank.
You may also want to watch:
Empty beer cans were found near to the bonfire and police believe acts of vandalism were caused to the roof of the building before the fire spread. The incident is being treated as suspicious.
Captain of Saffron Walden Cricket Club Neil Gladwin said: "I believe that the home changing room is badly damaged and that will have to be looked at before the start of the season, but we're not going to let this affect us on the pitch."
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 Town council welcomes Affinity Water U-turn as supplier announces surcharge
- 3 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 7 Saffron Walden Town off to winning start with victory at Sawbridgeworth
- 8 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 9 How one business is encouraging pet owners to go plastic free
- 10 WaldenTRI come together to produce a strong showing at Bedford Team Relays
Firefighters believe that the bonfire was started at about 7.30pm. "This is a busy area with people often out walking their dogs and we would urge anyone who saw anything to contact Saffron Walden Police Station on 0300 333 4444," said SO Farrant.