Blonde woman strips in Stansted Airport security protest

Stansted Airport

Stansted Airport - Credit: Archant

A petite blonde architect left fellow passengers gaping open mouthed as she gave vent to her frustration over security search delays at Stansted Airport with an impromptu striptease protest.

Now though she has been hit with fines and legal costs of £150 and spent 12 hours in a cell. And her arm was broken when she was arrested.

Irish born Eimear Ni Ghiallgairrh, 29, of Huntingdon, began stripping off in the customs area of the airport in protest against delays to her flight to Ireland.

However, by the time she had removed her skirt and was standing in her black tights two burly police officers swooped to preserve her modesty and prevent any further revelations.

The striptease protest was described at Chelmsford Magistrates Court where Ghiallgairrh, of Ouse Walk, Huntingdon, pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour and criminal damage.

The damage came after her arrest when she decided to rip up some police codes of practice during her time in a cell.

Prosecutor, Karen Phillips, told the court that the incident happened on 21 January when Ghiallgairrh was “running late for a flight to Ireland” and was then held up in security.

Most Read

Miss Phillips said that she became “frustrated at the situation” and continued: “She refused to be searched, became heated, got agitated and removed her skirt, standing in her tights. Members of the public around were distressed as she was undressing. She also banged on the desk angrily.”

Ghiallgairrh’s own lawyer, Sarah Steggles, told the court: “She found the whole experience quite distressing after she was late for her flight. Her behaviour was exuberance, calling attention to herself in a security search.

“Two officers were deployed and she found herself in custody for 12 hours where there were no windows and no air. She’s articulate, intelligent, and petite and two large officers arrested her. She suffered a fracture of the bone while arrested.

“She’s been in the UK for 18-months and is planning to go back to Ireland.”

As he sentenced Ms Ghiallgairrh, whose arm was in a plaster, as a result of the injury she received during her arrest, District Judge John Woollard told her: “I have to take into account the stress you were in which led to your behaviour and the fact you were surrounded by thousands of other people also stressed.”

He fined her £80 with £20 victim surcharge and £50 costs. She was given 28 days to pay or face seven days in jail.