British Gas will match fund new �400 boiler scrappage allowance
BRITISH Gas has today (January 5) announced it will match-fund the Government s �400 boiler scrappage allowance.This means customers buying a new boiler from British Gas can cut the cost by �800 this winter. The announcement came as British Gas welcomed
BRITISH Gas has today (January 5) announced it will match-fund the Government's �400 boiler scrappage allowance.
This means customers buying a new boiler from British Gas can cut the cost by �800 this winter. The announcement came as British Gas welcomed the Prime Minister Gordon Brown and the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, Ed Miliband, to its Energy Academy in Dartford - one of five British Gas academies, which train apprentice engineers to install and maintain energy-efficient boilers.
British Gas has worked quickly to put match-funding in place following the Government's unveiling of its new boiler scrappage scheme in the Pre-Budget Report on December 9 2009.
British Gas is the leading installer of energy efficient boilers in Britain. Each year, the company installs 120,000 new boilers, and trains between 300 and 500 engineers who fit and maintain them - as well as many other new energy technologies, such as solar panels.
You may also want to watch:
Welcoming the Prime Minister, Sam Laidlaw, chief executive of Centrica (the owner of British Gas), said: "If the UK is to meet its tough carbon reduction targets, it is vital that old, inefficient energy technologies are replaced.
"The Government's boiler scrappage scheme is, therefore, a very welcome initiative; it will assist the replacement of the country's four million inefficient domestic boilers with new boilers, which can improve energy efficiency by up to 30 per cent - an important step towards lowering carbon emissions."
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 In pictures: Fun raises community support cash
- 3 Ipswich man to face trial for Braintree car theft and Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 6 Shooting star: Coward-Holley's road to Tokyo 2020
- 7 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 EA Festival debut: New festival quenches region's 'thirst for culture'
- 10 It's A Very British Murder with TV historian Lucy Worsley at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Unveiling British Gas's match-funding, Phil Bentley, managing director of British Gas, said: "We want to help customers take advantage of the new boiler scrappage scheme, so we're offering to match the Government's �400 allowance, which means customers can cut a total of �800 from the cost of a new boiler from British Gas.
"As the country's leading installer of energy efficient boilers, we know that new boilers help lower fuel bills by as much as �235 a year."
British Gas's match-funding is available from tomorrow (Wednesday January 6). More information is available at: www.britishgas.co.uk/yourboiler