Bulldog dies in house fire

PUBLISHED: 13:49 15 March 2007 | UPDATED: 10:14 31 May 2010

Pic: Nick Emberson

Pic: Nick Emberson

A FAMILY of four escaped unharmed from their Linton home thanks to their smoke alarm after a fire broke out in their kitchen on Thursday. The fire started at just after midnight in The Grove, and the flames spread from the kitchen, up the sides of the hou

A FAMILY of four escaped unharmed from their Linton home thanks to their smoke alarm after a fire broke out in their kitchen on Thursday.

The fire started at just after midnight in The Grove, and the flames spread from the kitchen, up the sides of the house and into the roof space of the two adjoining properties.

One of the family's two bulldogs died in the blaze.

Fire crews from Linton, Saffron Walden, Cambridge and Haverhill attended the scene and the family, along with their neighbours, were safely evacuated.

Investigating officer Andy Tucker said: "Thankfully, the occupants of this house had a working smoke alarm fitted and they and their neighbours were able to escape from the property unharmed.

"This smoke alarm has potentially saved their lives and had this not been the case, we could have been dealing with a very different incident."

Next-door neighbours Trevor Smith, 49, and his wife Ceri were woken by their 17-year-old daughter who smelt burning.

"At midnight my daughter Catherine woke us up as she could smell smoke and there was someone banging on the front door," Mr Smith said.

"I got up and looked out of the bathroom window and the flames were high up against the back wall.

"It was a very traumatic experience and we all felt absolutely terrible."

The three affected families, which included a young couple and their baby, were evacuated.

Mr Smith said the family whose house had the fire, a couple with a son and daughter, are believed to be staying in Ely.

Eight firefighters extinguished the fire using two hose reels and three hydrant jets. The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the dishwasher or boiler.

Officer Tucker added: "I would use this as a reminder of the damage a house fire can cause and the threat to life it can pose.

"Anyone without a working smoke alarm should call their fire station for a free check."

A Cambridgeshire Police spokesman said the fire was not being treated as suspicious.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter