Burger starts flat fire

FIREFIGHTERS issued a warning today (Jan 27) after an unattended burger started a kitchen fire.

Two crews from Saffron Walden were called to The Spike on Radwinter Road at 1.20pm after a youngster raised the alarm - calling their parents who were 30 minutes away - after leaving the house with the burger still cooking and being unable to gain re-entry.

Crews arriving at the scene made an inspection of the second floor flat in the three-storey building using a triple extension ladder. They gained access after the parents returned home to find the flat heavily smoke logged.

After inspecting the property to make sure it was safe, they used a high pressure fan to clear the flat of smoke. The incident was dealt with by 2pm

Following the incident, firefighters issued a warning about the dangers of leaving cooking unattended. “This family had a lucky escape,” said a spokesman. “The next may not be so lucky.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter