Burma Star Day at Imperial War Museum Duxford
THE Burma Star Association, supported by Imperial War Museum Duxford, hosts an anniversary day on Saturday (August 15) to commemorate the achievements and experiences of the men and women who served in the Far East during the Second World War. Over 300 ve
THE Burma Star Association, supported by Imperial War Museum Duxford, hosts an anniversary day on Saturday (August 15) to commemorate the achievements and experiences of the men and women who served in the Far East during the Second World War.
Over 300 veterans will be in attendance on the day, sharing their memories of the war in the Far East.
Veterans will be on hand to chat to visitors in the Forgotten War exhibition in the Land Warfare Hall, where excerpts of the Imperial War Museum's coverage of the Burma Star campaign will also be shown.
Historic aircraft, including a Dakota transport aeroplane, which was so vital in the Far East campaigns, will present a thrilling flying display.
You may also want to watch:
The Victory in Europe Re-enactment Association will be displaying some of the equipment and uniforms worn by the British Forces in Burma.
The Burma Mule Living History Group will be located outside Land Warfare Hall to chat to visitors about the vital role that mules played in the Burma Star campaign. Mules were an essential means of transporting supplies through difficult terrains during the campaign in the Far East.
- 1 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 2 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 3 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 4 Saffron Walden Town through in FA Vase after dramatic ending
- 5 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 6 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 7 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 8 Gardeners behind the best-kept Saffron Walden allotments named
- 9 Team Max to hold fundraising auction for planned children's hospital
- 10 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
The commemorative day will conclude with a march past by Burma Star veterans and a poignant remembrance service.
For more information call Imperial War Museum Duxford on 01223 835000.