Burma Star Day at Imperial War Museum Duxford
THE Burma Star Association, supported by Imperial War Museum Duxford, hosts an anniversary day on Saturday (August 15) to commemorate the achievements and experiences of the men and women who served in the Far East during the Second World War. Over 300 ve
THE Burma Star Association, supported by Imperial War Museum Duxford, hosts an anniversary day on Saturday (August 15) to commemorate the achievements and experiences of the men and women who served in the Far East during the Second World War.
Over 300 veterans will be in attendance on the day, sharing their memories of the war in the Far East.
Veterans will be on hand to chat to visitors in the Forgotten War exhibition in the Land Warfare Hall, where excerpts of the Imperial War Museum's coverage of the Burma Star campaign will also be shown.
Historic aircraft, including a Dakota transport aeroplane, which was so vital in the Far East campaigns, will present a thrilling flying display.
You may also want to watch:
The Victory in Europe Re-enactment Association will be displaying some of the equipment and uniforms worn by the British Forces in Burma.
The Burma Mule Living History Group will be located outside Land Warfare Hall to chat to visitors about the vital role that mules played in the Burma Star campaign. Mules were an essential means of transporting supplies through difficult terrains during the campaign in the Far East.
- 1 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 4 Villages around Saffron Walden covered in frost and snow
- 5 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 6 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 7 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Dozens of illegal fishing nets and traps seized during pandemic
The commemorative day will conclude with a march past by Burma Star veterans and a poignant remembrance service.
For more information call Imperial War Museum Duxford on 01223 835000.