Business couple launch new cafe venture in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
An industrial-themed cafe, catering for people from all walks of life, opened its doors in Saffron Walden last week.
The Works Cafe, in Shire Hill next to Posh Wash, opened for business on Monday, January 11 following a five-week renovation period and is aiming to provide healthy food alongside the more traditional British breakfasts and lunches.
The cafe is the new venture for owners Gareth Davies and Dionne McCreery, formerly of the Railway pub in Station Road, and the couple say they are very excited about the project.
Gareth said: “We left the Railway in October, and we were a bit tied down with what we could do due to the brewery and suppliers. But this is very different and it feels fresh and very much like our baby.
“We don’t have the problem of so many outside influences now and we are able to do our own thing. We did all the renovation ourselves and hopefully people will like the look and enjoy coming in for friendly service and great food.”
You may also want to watch:
The cafe will be open from 8am to 4pm on weekdays and 9am to 4pm at weekends, and the couple say they are aiming to provide food that will suit a variety of different people.
Gareth said: “We’ve had truckers, people from the gym, young parents and office workers in so far, and we want to be able to cater for all. We have got a ‘Lean and Clean’ breakfast for the gym goers or those watching their weight, but we are also serving things like full English breakfasts, which is always a good seller.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 3 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 8 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 George Peasgood doubling up at Paralympics with cycling selection following triathlon call
“One of the things that became very popular at the Railway was our roast dinners, and we are hoping to start providing a Sunday roast take-away service, where people can pre-order and come and collect without the hassle of having to cook or wash-up.”
More information can be viewed on the cafe’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/TheWorksCafeSW/ or by following @WorksCafeSW on Twitter.