Business groups ‘sign up’ to East of England clarion call to government
THE voice of business around Stansted Airport has joined thousands of others from across the East of England calling on the new coalition Government to back industry in the region.
Chairman of the Stansted Airport Chamber of Commerce, Julie Budden, has signed up to a campaign making a clarion call to Whitehall.
The East of England has over 450,000 businesses who contribute something in the region of �110 billion every year to the economy of the UK.
“Businesses here around Stansted, across Essex and throughout the East of England are leading the recovery of the UK economy. We have one of the strongest economies in the nation and we are committed to working with government to build on that success,” said Ms Budden, who manages her own business JAB Services.
“While we of course recognise that we all have a part to play in addressing the deficit, it must be in a fair and appropriate manner.”
Last week, the government’s budget announced a National Insurance holiday for new businesses up to �10,000. There is though deep concern that the East of England was made exempt from this new incentive.
“Government must invest with us because together we have the potential to drive the UK economy forward for years to come and to ensure everyone living locally has a bright future,” added Ms Budden.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 3 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 5 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 7 Saffron Walden U13 Girls celebrate 3-0 victory
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 10 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
The Stansted Airport Chamber of Commerce (stanstedairportchamber.com) has joined others and signed up to an action plan published by industry leaders.
The Space for Ideas group is made up of key players such as Adnams, GSK, AWG, Ford UK, Bio Group Ltd and others across the east. Their Blueprint for Growth calls on the government to focus on nine priorities that will drive the economy forward.
“We need individuals, groups and business from across the local area to sign up and back the blueprint,” said Ms Budden.
“It is fundamental that government hears our voice at this vital time. Whether its regarding better broadband, access to finance, investment in skills or energy provision for the future, the more sign ups the more our call will be heard.
“Simply visit eastofengland.uk.com/blueprint, enter your name and email address and in a few seconds you can be part of wider campaign to put our region first.”
The Stansted Airport Chamber of Commerce (SACC) serves the following purposes:
• Promotion of trade in or around Stansted Airport, Essex
• Collection of information and statistics which may be of use to their members
• The facilitation of Business Networking
• To offer access to the many business opportunities as Stansted Airport develops
The Space for Ideas Group is made up of leading business in the region that are proud to be part of the East of England and champion the region as a great place to live in, visit and run a successful business from. Information about members and the wider campaign, as well as copies of the Blueprint for Growth are available from eastofengland.uk.com/blueprint