America’s Cup challenger boat jets off from Essex airport
- Credit: ©Lloyd Images
The British challenger in the America’s Cup boat race has jetted off from Stansted airport en route to Auckland in New Zealand.
INEOS Britannia II headed off in one of the world’s largest aircraft – a four engine 1987 Ukrainian Antonov 124 cargo plane.
The 75ft race boat travels via Dubai, having arrived at the airport from Portsmouth.
It was towed on board using a new prototype INEOS Grenadier 4x4 to take off at 6.30pm on Monday, September 28.
MORE – Giant wind farm set to be extended as two developers join forcesThe INEOS team UK will be skippered by four time Olympic champion Sir Ben Ainslie – currently in quarantine in New Zealand – and they will be hoping to lift the sport’s oldest international trophy.
“We had to give ourselves maximum design and build time in the UK, which meant the Antonov was the only transport option. It’s testament to the huge effort by the whole team to get RB2 built and delivered to New Zealand on schedule,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Project director Dave Endean, who has overseen the build and transportation of RB2 to New Zealand, said it had been a “huge” operation.
“It was an important milestone to get our race boat on the Antonov cargo plane today and I, and the rest of our team left in the UK, can’t wait to join the team in New Zealand now and get sailing in the Auckland Harbour,” he said.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 4 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 5 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 6 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 7 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 10 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe