Cadet wins top award
A SAFFRON Walden teenager has won a top award for showing great commitment as an army Cadet. Cadet of the Year Michael Debnam assisted with local community events such as the Charity Dog Show in Thaxted, Saffron Striders 10km run and the Poppy Appeal in
A SAFFRON Walden teenager has won a top award for showing great commitment as an army Cadet.
Cadet of the Year Michael Debnam assisted with local community events such as the Charity Dog Show in Thaxted, Saffron Striders' 10km run and the Poppy Appeal in the town.
He also joined 31 other cadets to do conservation work in the Peak District in his school holidays.
Michael was selected to represent his company of over 200 cadets for the shooting and drill teams last year, as well as being nominated for Best Cadet out of 400 cadets at a two-week annual camp at Salisbury Plain army training areas.
You may also want to watch:
He also found time to complete his Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award.
Despite all this hard work, amazingly the modest 14-year-old said that he was "surprised to be selected".
- 1 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 2 Saffron Striders enjoy lots of choice with Great North Run the main event
- 3 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 4 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 5 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 6 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 7 Peter Holt is appointed as the new district council chief executive
- 8 'It feels brilliant to be back' - Aladdin announced as Cambridge Arts Theatre's full-scale Christmas pantomime
- 9 Opera superstar opens world-class season of entertainment lined up at Saffron Hall
- 10 Your pictures as Essex goes 'Back to School'
The trophy was awarded by company Sergeant Major Alan Sharpe.