Call for new rail line between London and Stansted Airport
- Credit: Archant
A new rail line between London and Stansted Airport could cut journey time for passengers to less than thirty minutes, a leading transport expert has claimed.
Jim Steer, founder and director of global transport consultancy, Steer Davies Gleave, called for a new line as he addressed delegates at the airport’s 14th transport forum last week.
“A new rail line between London Liverpool Street and Stansted Airport and onwards to the east and north would significantly improve access times to around 26 minutes to the airport,” said Mr Steer,
“London - particularly east London - will see significant economic and population growth over the next twenty to thirty years. The same is true of the corridor between London and Cambridge. To support this growth, we urgently need a strategic plan for housing and transport infrastructure. Rail infrastructure development, centred on Stansted, makes good sense and would increase the airport’s competitiveness and have wider economic benefits for the East of England region.”
Mr Steer’s comments came in the same week as the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne and Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s announcement to form a task force to study options for improving London-Stansted-Cambridge rail links.
You may also want to watch:
Stansted Airport’s Managing Director, Andrew Harrison, said:
“Unlike other London airports, Stansted has spare runway capacity today and significant room to grow in the future. It is vital that faster rail services are delivered between London and Stansted to ensure this potential is realised as soon as possible.”
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 8 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season