Calls for Uttlesford District Council to save pub
RESIDENTS are calling on the district council to save their pub after plans for its demolition were submitted.
Greene King has submitted a planning application for the demolition of The Axe on Ashdon Road and for housing to be built in its place following a review which found it was no longer “financially viable” as a business.
The move has angered residents who believe the brewery is trying to rid itself of the pub to make quick money.
Jennifer Capon, who has lived on Ashdon Road for 30 years, said: “It is all about greed. If the business isn’t viable then why not sell it to someone who is prepared to make a go of it.
“Greene King knows that selling it as a pub would only pull in a fraction of what they’ll get if planning permission is granted.”
She added that granting planning permission would in direct conflict with Uttlesford’s Local Plan which seeks to retain facilities such as pubs where there is demand for it in the locality.
A spokesman for Greene King said: “Following a decline in trade over a number of years, we can confirm that a planning application has been submitted to redevelop The Axe into housing.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 3 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 4 Saffron Walden photographer's book a permanent record of life in a locked down town
- 5 Decision yet to be made on Saffron Walden's 20mph limit
- 6 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 7 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 8 In pictures: the cute animals in January's Pets' Corner
- 9 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 10 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache
“It follows an extensive property review which found it was no longer viable as a business.”