Campaigners on hand to view improved access at Audley End station
MOBILITY campaigners were at Audley End rail station yesterday to see the unveiling of a new ramp and other improved access enhancements at the entrance.
Train operator Greater Anglia installed the ramp at the station entrance to provide improved access to the main doors after consultation with local mobility organisations, the local Women’s Institute and Wendons Ambo Parish Council.
The station frontage had previously received a makeover with new paving and cycle facilities provided by Essex County Council and an access ramp to the side of the building was also enhanced as part of a platform improvement project.
Lifts were also installed in 2011 thanks to the DfT’s Access for All initiative, which has made the station fully accessible to passengers with mobility impairments.
The station improvements were overseen by Greater Anglia and duty manager Graham Ellingham met with local WI members Jane Pearson, Phillipa Croft and Isobel Grant to show them the improvements.
Alan Neville, Greater Anglia’s area customer service manager, said: “Investment in facilities at stations is important to meet our customers’ expectations of good customer service and to encourage more people to travel by rail and I am pleased that we were able to make some changes at Audley End that have improved the station environment for passengers”.
Isobel Grant, who is a parish councilor and a member of Wendens Ambo with Littlebury Green WI, added: “Jane, Phillipa and I spent a lot of time discussing access issues at the station and we are delighted that Mr Neville listened to our views and has worked hard to change things for the better.
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 School activities and sports in pictures
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 6 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
“We are very pleased to see the new ramp at the station entrance which will improve access for those with mobility impairments.”