Cancer patients in Uttlesford set to receive better care
- Credit: Archant
Cancer patients in Uttlesford are set to benefit from improved services and care following a successful application to employ a dedicated GP.
A current West Essex doctor will soon be spending one day per week focusing on enhancing cancer services and support for patients in Harlow, Epping Forest and Uttlesford, following a request from West Essex Clinical Commissioning Group (West Essex CCG).
As well as continuing their day job, the Macmillan GP will be responsible for liaising with the GP community in the area to promote ideas for improvement and ensure ongoing education of peers.
In order to do this they will spend a morning and afternoon each week meeting with other GPs to enhance their knowledge and skills around the delivery of services for patients with cancer.
Christine Moss, clinical director at West Essex CCG, said: “This is an excellent result for patients and means people in west Essex affected by cancer will see more confident, responsive community care.
You may also want to watch:
“Working closely with Macmillan is one of the ways the CCG is working collaboratively with other organisations to provide better joined up care for patients.”
Tatyana Guveli, Macmillan development manager, added: “Macmillan GPs lead the way in pushing for better cancer care in their area. They do this by working closely with other health and social care professionals to improve standards and raise awareness. This could include identifying areas where training is needed, such as recognising the symptoms of a rare cancer.
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 5 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 6 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
“It is great news for West Essex that there is to be a Macmillan GP for the area. We are delighted to be working in partnership with West Essex CCG and look forward to seeing the benefits this new position will bring to local people.”
The CCG and Macmillan will now work together to mentor a doctor currently working in West Essex to become the Macmillan GP, who will be paid for their time by Macmillan.