Carver Barracks soldiers ‘row’ 150 miles and raised £1,500 for Children with Cancer UK
- Credit: Archant
SOLDIERS battled an altogether different challenge on Saturday as they rowed half-way round the clock to raise over £1,500 for charity.
The event, held in Saffron Walden Market Square from 8am to 8pm, saw members of 58 Field Squadron, part of 33 Engineer Regiment (EOD) based at Carver Barracks, row the equivalent distance from Devizes to Westminster – 150 miles.
On two rowing machines, the soldiers took turns to cover the distance of 1km on at a pace akin to that of an Olympian in training, followed by 5km off.
And they raised £1,506.37 in total for Children with Cancer UK.
All ranks – from officer commanding, Major Stephen Black down to sappers and everything in between – took part.
You may also want to watch:
Lance Corporal George Hawthorn, who organised the event, said: “We raise money for Help for Heroes and local soldiers, but it is good to do a bit fosupport the community and other charities.
“It is also important to get out and be seen in the public eye.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 4 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 7 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 8 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 9 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 10 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
Speaking about the challenge, L Cpl Hawthorn added: “We’re used to running and carrying bags on our back, but rowing is something completely different.
“We were hitting it at maximum effort so it was tough. But it was also good fun and well worth it. We would like to thank everyone who supported us on the day.”
Children with Cancer UK is a national charity dedicated to fighting childhood leukaemia and other childhood cancers through life-saving research and campaigning.For more details, visit childrenwithcancer.org.uk