Cat dies in Saffron Walden house fire

The scene at Whiteshot way last night (Sept 7) Pic: Saffron Walden Fire

The scene at Whiteshot way last night (Sept 7) Pic: Saffron Walden Fire

Archant

A cat died from smoke inhalation in a house fire in Saffron Walden last night (Sept 7) which firefighters believe was started by an unattended candle.

Damage caused by the fire at Whiteshot Way in Saffron Walden last night (Sept 7) Pic: Saffron Walden FireDamage caused by the fire at Whiteshot Way in Saffron Walden last night (Sept 7) Pic: Saffron Walden Fire

A second cat was rescued from the property in Whiteshot Way, as two crews from Saffron Walden tackled the blaze just before 9pm.

The ground floor of the semi-detached home was left badly damaged following the fire, which was extinguished by 9.30pm.

The blaze is believed to have started in the living room by an unattended candle and there was not a working smoke alarm in the property.

Station chief Paul Curtis said: “When we arrived at the house, the ground floor living room was well alight, and the whole property was completely filled with smoke. The damaged to the property is extensive and has made it uninhabitable.

“There was no working smoke alarm in this property. We want to urge everyone to make sure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home.

The fire service has issued the following advice regarding candles:

- Make sure candles are secured in a proper holder and are away from materials that may catch fire

- Children and pets should not be left alone with lit candles

- Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night

Essex County Fire and Rescue will fit smoke alarms free of charge to anyone living in Essex. Contact 0300 303 0088 or email webmaster@essex-fire.gov.uk to arrange a home safety visit.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter