Celebrities, musicians and former sports stars gear up for charity football match
- Credit: Archant
TV presenter Jeff Brazier is the latest celebrity to confirm his attendance for Sunday’s charity football match in memory of an 11-year-old Saffron Walden County High School student.
Ethan Linwood, who lived on the outskirts of Thaxted with mum Morag, dad Bob and sister Emelia, died five days after suffering serious head injuries in a car crash last October.
A football match between an All Star XI and Saffron Walden Town FC was arranged by a firefighter who attended the scene of Ethan’s crash, Matt Goullee, and the youngster’s family, with money raised going towards a charity in his name.
Nominations to receive funding from the Ethan Rees Linwood Memorial Fund are now being sought by Ethan’s family as celebrities, former sports stars and musicians get their football boots ready for the weekend’s action.
Mrs Linwood said: “We are now in a position to begin allocating funds to make a difference to the lives of local children in need and would like residents in Uttlesford to get in touch with their nominations, ideas and thoughts about worthy recipients.
“We would also love as many people as possible to come along on Sunday to help support the charity, both sets of players, Ethan’s friends and all of the people who have given their time to make this event happen.”
To receive help from the fund, recipients must live within a 15-mile radius of Thaxted, be aged 8-16 and be in some form of need.
- 1 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 Road building not the answer to Essex's transport woes, says campaigner
- 4 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 5 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 6 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 7 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 8 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 9 Saffron Striders enjoy home leg of inter-club cross-country championship
- 10 Radical women of Saffron Walden walking tour
Gates at Catons Lane open at 12noon and the first junior match begins at 12.30pm. Next up is a friendly game involving dads and old timers before the main event kicks off at 3pm.
Parking around the ground will be severely restricted so visitors arriving by car have been advised to park in Swan Meadow Car Park.
Tickets are available from Parrishes restaurant and Vrve in Thaxted or the Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre – where the Linwood’s will be on Saturday to promote the event and sell tickets for Ethan’s Birthday Grand Prize Draw.
Raffle tickets are £1 and prizes include a Canon Powershot camera, Kindle Fire, M&S Luxury Hamper, Tesco Sweet Hamper, Tesco Food Hamper and HD TV. The draw will be made on August 21 at 9am, what would have been Ethan’s 12th birthday. Winners will be notified within 7 days of this date.
Thaxted Fire Station will also be doing a charity car wash on Saturday from 10am-4pm, with all donations going to the Ethan Rees Memorial Fund. Anyone wanting to get wet and give them a hand is welcome too.