Celebrities, musicians and former sports stars gear up for charity football match
- Credit: Archant
TV presenter Jeff Brazier is the latest celebrity to confirm his attendance for Sunday’s charity football match in memory of an 11-year-old Saffron Walden County High School student.
Ethan Linwood, who lived on the outskirts of Thaxted with mum Morag, dad Bob and sister Emelia, died five days after suffering serious head injuries in a car crash last October.
A football match between an All Star XI and Saffron Walden Town FC was arranged by a firefighter who attended the scene of Ethan’s crash, Matt Goullee, and the youngster’s family, with money raised going towards a charity in his name.
Nominations to receive funding from the Ethan Rees Linwood Memorial Fund are now being sought by Ethan’s family as celebrities, former sports stars and musicians get their football boots ready for the weekend’s action.
Mrs Linwood said: “We are now in a position to begin allocating funds to make a difference to the lives of local children in need and would like residents in Uttlesford to get in touch with their nominations, ideas and thoughts about worthy recipients.
You may also want to watch:
“We would also love as many people as possible to come along on Sunday to help support the charity, both sets of players, Ethan’s friends and all of the people who have given their time to make this event happen.”
To receive help from the fund, recipients must live within a 15-mile radius of Thaxted, be aged 8-16 and be in some form of need.
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
Gates at Catons Lane open at 12noon and the first junior match begins at 12.30pm. Next up is a friendly game involving dads and old timers before the main event kicks off at 3pm.
Parking around the ground will be severely restricted so visitors arriving by car have been advised to park in Swan Meadow Car Park.
Tickets are available from Parrishes restaurant and Vrve in Thaxted or the Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre – where the Linwood’s will be on Saturday to promote the event and sell tickets for Ethan’s Birthday Grand Prize Draw.
Raffle tickets are £1 and prizes include a Canon Powershot camera, Kindle Fire, M&S Luxury Hamper, Tesco Sweet Hamper, Tesco Food Hamper and HD TV. The draw will be made on August 21 at 9am, what would have been Ethan’s 12th birthday. Winners will be notified within 7 days of this date.
Thaxted Fire Station will also be doing a charity car wash on Saturday from 10am-4pm, with all donations going to the Ethan Rees Memorial Fund. Anyone wanting to get wet and give them a hand is welcome too.