Charity run to honour memory of Saffron Walden teacher
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden school will be honouring one of its former teachers by hosting another 5K charity run.
Following the success of The Great Westgarth Run, in March 2010, Friends’ School will be holding the race again to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA).
The race, named after Sue Westgarth, a teacher who inspired many young runners, will be taking place on Sunday, June 8, at 10.30am. Sue died of Motor Neurone Disease in November 2010, aged 51.
Stefanie Godfrey, one of the event organisers, said: “Sue loved running and encouraged many of Saffron Walden’s young people to run, including Hannah Irwin, who recently represented Essex in the National School Cross-Country Championships, in Nottingham.
“Sue was supported in her battle against MND by the Cambridgeshire branch of MNDA and all profits raised from this run will be given to the charity.”
Registration is from 9-10am (runners who have pre-registered will also be able to collect their race number then) and the 5K race will start at 10.30am. There is a 1K fun run with optional fancy dress at 11am.
Every runner will receive a goody bag and there is a medal for all finishers. There are various prizes, including one for the best fancy dress costume.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Elbow's Heritage Live headline concert at Audley End House and Gardens
- 3 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 5 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 9 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 10 Benkenstein bags six of the best as Essex Eagles thrash Glamorgan
Entry is £10 for adults in advance (£12 on the day) and £3 for children under 16.
Further details and entry forms are available from Friends‘ School, Saffron Sports, Wilburs Gym and Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre, or by emailing: email@example.com.