Charity run to honour memory of Saffron Walden teacher
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden school will be honouring one of its former teachers by hosting another 5K charity run.
Following the success of The Great Westgarth Run, in March 2010, Friends’ School will be holding the race again to raise funds for the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA).
The race, named after Sue Westgarth, a teacher who inspired many young runners, will be taking place on Sunday, June 8, at 10.30am. Sue died of Motor Neurone Disease in November 2010, aged 51.
Stefanie Godfrey, one of the event organisers, said: “Sue loved running and encouraged many of Saffron Walden’s young people to run, including Hannah Irwin, who recently represented Essex in the National School Cross-Country Championships, in Nottingham.
“Sue was supported in her battle against MND by the Cambridgeshire branch of MNDA and all profits raised from this run will be given to the charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Registration is from 9-10am (runners who have pre-registered will also be able to collect their race number then) and the 5K race will start at 10.30am. There is a 1K fun run with optional fancy dress at 11am.
Every runner will receive a goody bag and there is a medal for all finishers. There are various prizes, including one for the best fancy dress costume.
- 1 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 2 Wiseman dynasty gets new star as 15-year-old Max hits first senior ton
- 3 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Walden teddy bear shop to relocate to new venue
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Ex-prison governor on writing, retirement and baking at Angela Reed
- 9 Front garden VE Day display planned in Great Chesterford
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
Entry is £10 for adults in advance (£12 on the day) and £3 for children under 16.
Further details and entry forms are available from Friends‘ School, Saffron Sports, Wilburs Gym and Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre, or by emailing: email@example.com.