Charity runners take-off on inaugural runway run at Stansted Airport
- Credit: Archant
A DEDICATED band of jet-heeled runners took-off on a very early morning run along Stansted Airport’s runway today (June 24) to raise funds for the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance, the airport’s charity partner.
At 3am on a clear, crisp Monday morning, nearly 100 airport staff and Air Ambulance supporters sprinted, jogged and walked the 6km course for the inaugural fun run along the airport’s 3,048 metre long runway.
Stansted Airport corporate social responsibility manager, Marcella M’Rabety, said: “This is the first time ever the airport has opened up its runway for such a unique event.
“The fantastic occasion allowed staff and our business partners the very rare chance to run along one of the busiest runways in the country, all in aid of our wonderful charity partner, the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance Trust.”
Helena Morgan, head of fundraising, Essex & Herts Air Ambulance Trust, who took part in the run, said: “This is such a novel idea to help raise much needed funds for your local Air Ambulance to continue saving lives.
“We are very excited about our new partnership with Stansted Airport and look forward to more interesting events throughout the year.”
During the year, airport staff will be taking part in a number of events to raise funds and awareness for the charity that provides a free life-saving Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) for Essex and Hertfordshire.
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 School activities and sports in pictures
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 6 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
In May, a team of pedal-pushers from the airport took part and raised funds at the Air Ambulance Colne Valley Cycle Ride and in September a range of events are planned to celebrate National Air Ambulance week.
To find out more about the Essex & Herts Air Ambulance Trust, visit ehaat.uk.com