Children evacuated from school near Saffron Walden after fire breaks out

Saffron Walden Fire Station. Picture: SaffronPhoto

Saffron Walden Fire Station. Picture: SaffronPhoto - Credit: Archant

Children had to be evacuated from a school near Saffron Walden this afternoon due to a fire.

Two crews from Saffron Walden were sent to the school in Bartlow Road, Ashdon, after a fire broke out in an outbuilding at about 12.35pm.

The fire, which was extinguished by 1.15pm, was caused by materials next to a cooker which was left on accidentally.

A fan was used to clear the building of smoke.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The school acted quickly to evacuate the school of children and made good use of its own fire equipment – two fire extinguishers and a fire blanket.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter