Children evacuated from school near Saffron Walden after fire breaks out

PUBLISHED: 16:46 17 June 2016 | UPDATED: 16:52 17 June 2016

Saffron Walden Fire Station. Picture: SaffronPhoto

Saffron Walden Fire Station. Picture: SaffronPhoto

SaffronPhoto 2016

Children had to be evacuated from a school near Saffron Walden this afternoon due to a fire.

Two crews from Saffron Walden were sent to the school in Bartlow Road, Ashdon, after a fire broke out in an outbuilding at about 12.35pm.

The fire, which was extinguished by 1.15pm, was caused by materials next to a cooker which was left on accidentally.

A fan was used to clear the building of smoke.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The school acted quickly to evacuate the school of children and made good use of its own fire equipment – two fire extinguishers and a fire blanket.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter