Chlamydia: Make sure you’re clued up – get tested in West Essex
YOUNG people need to be sure they have a clean bill of sexual health on the chlamydia front – request a testing kit via text message. Those aged between 15 and 24 years are being urged to find out for themselves if they are the one in 10 young sexually ac
YOUNG people need to be sure they have a clean bill of sexual health on the chlamydia front - request a testing kit via text message.
Those aged between 15 and 24 years are being urged to find out for themselves if they are the one in 10 young sexually active people with chlamydia. It is one of the fastest growing sexually-transmitted infections affecting this age group.
Chlamydia screening co-ordinator Louise Palmer, of NHS West Essex, said: "Just text the word KIT to 60155 with your name, age, address and sex to get your free chlamydia testing kit.
"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean you don't have it. Get tested now - to be sure you are not the one in ten."
Alternatively, people in this age group are being invited to drop in chlamydia sessions across NHS West Essex:
Thursday October 15 between 3pm and 7pm at the Lecture Theatre, St Margaret's Hospital on The Plain, Epping CM16 6TN
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 3 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 4 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 5 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 6 Could you be named the Essex Young Musician of the Year?
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
- 9 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
Wednesday October 21 from 3pm to 7pm at Barbara Castle Health Centre, Broadley Road, Harlow CM19 5SJ
Tuesday November 3 from 3pm to 7pm at Dunmow Community Clinic, New Street, Dunmow CM6 1BH
GPs are supporting the drive to increase this age group to take the chlamydia test. Visit www.westessexpct.nhs.uk/yourhealth/chlamydia.php or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for information, and details of where you can get tested.
Why is chlamydia screening important?
* chlamydia is one of the fastest growing sexually-transmitted infections affecting young men and women
* One in 10 sexually active young people have chlamydia but most do not know they have it
* there are often no signs or symptoms
* if left untreated it can cause further infections and infertility in both males and females
* all 15 to 24-yr-olds are advised to test annually or every time they have a new partner.
The test is free and easy to do. It is a self test - no examination is needed and requesting your testing kit by text message couldn't be simpler.