Chlamydia: Make sure you’re clued up – get tested in West Essex
YOUNG people need to be sure they have a clean bill of sexual health on the chlamydia front – request a testing kit via text message. Those aged between 15 and 24 years are being urged to find out for themselves if they are the one in 10 young sexually ac
YOUNG people need to be sure they have a clean bill of sexual health on the chlamydia front - request a testing kit via text message.
Those aged between 15 and 24 years are being urged to find out for themselves if they are the one in 10 young sexually active people with chlamydia. It is one of the fastest growing sexually-transmitted infections affecting this age group.
Chlamydia screening co-ordinator Louise Palmer, of NHS West Essex, said: "Just text the word KIT to 60155 with your name, age, address and sex to get your free chlamydia testing kit.
"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean you don't have it. Get tested now - to be sure you are not the one in ten."
You may also want to watch:
Alternatively, people in this age group are being invited to drop in chlamydia sessions across NHS West Essex:
Thursday October 15 between 3pm and 7pm at the Lecture Theatre, St Margaret's Hospital on The Plain, Epping CM16 6TN
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 6 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 'We're not trying to target young people': e-scooter awareness drive
Wednesday October 21 from 3pm to 7pm at Barbara Castle Health Centre, Broadley Road, Harlow CM19 5SJ
Tuesday November 3 from 3pm to 7pm at Dunmow Community Clinic, New Street, Dunmow CM6 1BH
GPs are supporting the drive to increase this age group to take the chlamydia test. Visit www.westessexpct.nhs.uk/yourhealth/chlamydia.php or e-mail email@example.com for information, and details of where you can get tested.
Why is chlamydia screening important?
* chlamydia is one of the fastest growing sexually-transmitted infections affecting young men and women
* One in 10 sexually active young people have chlamydia but most do not know they have it
* there are often no signs or symptoms
* if left untreated it can cause further infections and infertility in both males and females
* all 15 to 24-yr-olds are advised to test annually or every time they have a new partner.
The test is free and easy to do. It is a self test - no examination is needed and requesting your testing kit by text message couldn't be simpler.