Choral society to perform moving work
SAFFRON Walden Choral Society is to perform Bach s St John Passion on March 21 in St Mary s Church in the town. The moving and spiritual work, depicting Christ s betrayal, capture and crucifixion, is – together with Bach s St Matthew Passion – the nearest
SAFFRON Walden Choral Society is to perform Bach's St John Passion on March 21 in St Mary's Church in the town.
The moving and spiritual work, depicting Christ's betrayal, capture and crucifixion, is - together with Bach's St Matthew Passion - the nearest Bach came to writing an opera.
The part of the Evangelist who tells the story will be taken by tenor James Atherton, who brings a wealth of experience to this role.
Soprano Ann-Helen Moen is an internationally renowned Norwegian soprano. Mezzo-soprano Diana Moore and bass Edward Price will be making a welcome return to Saffron Walden, where they have both given spell-binding performances in the past.
You may also want to watch:
The music for the choir demands that it steps in and out of character to fit the story, sometimes being the angry crowd baying for Jesus's life, and at other times taking on a more contemplative role, as for example when singing Bach's glorious settings of Lutheran chorales. Professional accompaniment will come from the Chameleon Arts Orchestra.
St Mary's Church provides an optimal setting for this piece, both visually with its fine 15th century architecture and aurally, with an acoustic that is warm and all-enveloping and places the listener right in the middle of the music's drama and emotion.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
Tickets are �15 (�12 concessions and �1 for accompanied under 18s) available from the Tourist Information Centre, from 01279 812849, from members or on the door. For more details see the SWCS website www.swchoral.org.uk