Choral society to perform moving work
SAFFRON Walden Choral Society is to perform Bach s St John Passion on March 21 in St Mary s Church in the town. The moving and spiritual work, depicting Christ s betrayal, capture and crucifixion, is – together with Bach s St Matthew Passion – the nearest
SAFFRON Walden Choral Society is to perform Bach's St John Passion on March 21 in St Mary's Church in the town.
The moving and spiritual work, depicting Christ's betrayal, capture and crucifixion, is - together with Bach's St Matthew Passion - the nearest Bach came to writing an opera.
The part of the Evangelist who tells the story will be taken by tenor James Atherton, who brings a wealth of experience to this role.
Soprano Ann-Helen Moen is an internationally renowned Norwegian soprano. Mezzo-soprano Diana Moore and bass Edward Price will be making a welcome return to Saffron Walden, where they have both given spell-binding performances in the past.
You may also want to watch:
The music for the choir demands that it steps in and out of character to fit the story, sometimes being the angry crowd baying for Jesus's life, and at other times taking on a more contemplative role, as for example when singing Bach's glorious settings of Lutheran chorales. Professional accompaniment will come from the Chameleon Arts Orchestra.
St Mary's Church provides an optimal setting for this piece, both visually with its fine 15th century architecture and aurally, with an acoustic that is warm and all-enveloping and places the listener right in the middle of the music's drama and emotion.
- 1 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 2 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 3 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 4 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
- 5 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 8 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 9 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
Tickets are �15 (�12 concessions and �1 for accompanied under 18s) available from the Tourist Information Centre, from 01279 812849, from members or on the door. For more details see the SWCS website www.swchoral.org.uk