Cinema to transform into the chocolate factory during Saffron Walden’s first-ever Wonka Week
WONKA Week in Saffron Walden is well underway with many businesses and organisations taking part.
To cap off the week of scrumdiddlyumptious fun, Saffron Screen is showing the 2005 film, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (PG) at 3pm on Sunday (October 7).
Saffron Screen will co-host the finale event with The Sweet Shop. Cinema doors will open at 2pm and prior to the film, the audience will be able to visit a ‘pop up’ Willy Wonka Sweetie Shop, enter into a Wonka-themed fancy dress competition and have their photo taken in the Willy Wonka photo booth. There will also be the opportunity to meet some real life Oompa-loompas and Mr Willy Wonka himself.
Throughout the week, The Sweet Shop is selling ‘one off’ Wonka chocolate bars, inclusive of Golden Tickets, which customers can exchange for ‘lucky dip’ prizes. The tickets will also act as children’s raffle tickets which will be drawn at the pre-film event at Saffron Screen.
In Tim Burton’s version of the classic Roald Dahl story, Charlie Bucket (Freddie Highmore) subsists in poverty, fixating on the town’s chocolate factory to disguise the taste of endless cabbage soup. Winning one of five golden tickets to tour the confectionery-creation facility, Charlie meets his idol Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp) and the four grotesque winners on a journey through the chocolatier’s bizarre world.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets prices are �6.20 (adult concession �4.20 / 18 & under �3.60) and are available from the cinema box office, the Tourist Information Centre, or online at saffronscreen.com.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 10 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come