Clavering couple in double suicide
A MARRIED couple from Clavering tied plastic bags over their heads and used helium gas to kill themselves, an inquest heard today (Friday). The double suicide of Anthony Burgess, 44, and his wife Marion, 50, occurred in their home at Coleshill Close on Ja
A MARRIED couple from Clavering used plastic bags and helium gas to kill themselves, an inquest heard today (Friday).
The double suicide of Anthony Burgess, 44, and his wife Marion, 50, occurred in their home at Coleshill Close on January 25.
Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray recorded the verdict of suicide at the Chelmsford court saying that the couple "took deliberate action knowing that it would end in death".
Coroner's officer Ria Owers told the court that Mr Burgess had lost his job and that the couple were suffering from stress because of financial problems.
You may also want to watch:
The bodies were discovered by Mr Burgess's brother who had gone round to the couple's house to help them move some furniture. He found a note on the door asking him to alert the police before entering.
A post-mortem by Dr Janet Leake at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow determined they died of asphyxiation caused by helium inhalation.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 4 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 5 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 6 Stations benefit from funding
- 7 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 8 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 9 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 10 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
Mr Burgess who was born in Croydon and Mrs Burgess from Hampstead had one daughter. None of the family attended the inquest.
* ANYONE feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or e-mail email@example.com