Clavering couple in double suicide
A MARRIED couple from Clavering tied plastic bags over their heads and used helium gas to kill themselves, an inquest heard today (Friday). The double suicide of Anthony Burgess, 44, and his wife Marion, 50, occurred in their home at Coleshill Close on Ja
A MARRIED couple from Clavering used plastic bags and helium gas to kill themselves, an inquest heard today (Friday).
The double suicide of Anthony Burgess, 44, and his wife Marion, 50, occurred in their home at Coleshill Close on January 25.
Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray recorded the verdict of suicide at the Chelmsford court saying that the couple "took deliberate action knowing that it would end in death".
Coroner's officer Ria Owers told the court that Mr Burgess had lost his job and that the couple were suffering from stress because of financial problems.
The bodies were discovered by Mr Burgess's brother who had gone round to the couple's house to help them move some furniture. He found a note on the door asking him to alert the police before entering.
A post-mortem by Dr Janet Leake at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow determined they died of asphyxiation caused by helium inhalation.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 5 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 6 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 7 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 e-comics and creative writing help from Essex libraries
Mr Burgess who was born in Croydon and Mrs Burgess from Hampstead had one daughter. None of the family attended the inquest.
* ANYONE feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org