Clavering couple in double suicide
A MARRIED couple from Clavering tied plastic bags over their heads and used helium gas to kill themselves, an inquest heard today (Friday). The double suicide of Anthony Burgess, 44, and his wife Marion, 50, occurred in their home at Coleshill Close on Ja
A MARRIED couple from Clavering used plastic bags and helium gas to kill themselves, an inquest heard today (Friday).
The double suicide of Anthony Burgess, 44, and his wife Marion, 50, occurred in their home at Coleshill Close on January 25.
Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray recorded the verdict of suicide at the Chelmsford court saying that the couple "took deliberate action knowing that it would end in death".
Coroner's officer Ria Owers told the court that Mr Burgess had lost his job and that the couple were suffering from stress because of financial problems.
You may also want to watch:
The bodies were discovered by Mr Burgess's brother who had gone round to the couple's house to help them move some furniture. He found a note on the door asking him to alert the police before entering.
A post-mortem by Dr Janet Leake at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow determined they died of asphyxiation caused by helium inhalation.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 4 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 5 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 6 Reflections: A World War One soldier who was killed in battle
- 7 Andy Scott's Chornic Kidney Disease story
- 8 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 9 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
- 10 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
Mr Burgess who was born in Croydon and Mrs Burgess from Hampstead had one daughter. None of the family attended the inquest.
* ANYONE feeling emotionally distressed or suicidal can call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org