Clavering Primary School newspaper launch
CLAVERING Primary School has launched a school newspaper written completely by Year 5 pupils.
During a journalistic writing project, pupils listened to a talk by a former journalist about how to produce a newspaper and learnt how to write a news report.
They applied their journalistic writing skills learnt in school and worked together in editorial teams to interview sources and put together the stories.
Class teacher Sarah Rudkin said: “The whole class loved this project and were so enthusiastic that everyone took on a role. They took to the job with such relish that, guided ably by their editor-in-chief, Bethan Miles, the newspaper came together very quickly and amazingly efficiently.”
Titled ‘Clavering’s Got News For You’, the four-page A4 newspaper is filled with recent school news including Christmas plays, the design of a school Friendship Garden and even an interview with headteacher Rosalind Allsop.
You may also want to watch:
The newspaper team included an editor, deputy editors, reporters, sports editors, picture editors and even puzzle and joke editors.
Editor Bethan, from Class 5, said “Everyone pitched in and the journalists got some good stories. Everyone worked together really well and that’s why this newspaper has turned out so brilliantly.”
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Town council backs new support club
- 4 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 7 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 8 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
After the success of the project, Class 5 plans to produce a second issue before the end of the school year.