Comedian Eddie Izzard commemorates D-Day Landings anniversary with Normandy veterans
COMEDIAN Eddie Izzard attended the last great gathering of Normandy veterans on the 65th anniversary of the D-Day Landings. Imperial War Museum Duxford hosted the reunion of the Normandy Veterans Association on Sunday. More than 1000 veterans and guests
COMEDIAN Eddie Izzard attended the last great gathering of Normandy veterans on the 65th anniversary of the D-Day Landings.
Imperial War Museum Duxford hosted the reunion of the Normandy Veterans Association on Sunday.
More than 1000 veterans and guests attended the poignant and historic day including honorary member of the Association, Eddie Izzard.
The Normandy Veterans Association was formed in 1981 to encourage the 1944 spirit of comradeship irrespective of rank or social position and to promote contact between former comrades.
You may also want to watch:
There was an exciting flying display by The Blades, comprised of pilots who were formerly with The Red Arrows, flying the ultimate in high-performance piston aircraft.
The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight performed a flypast by a Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 4 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 5 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 6 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 8 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 9 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
Honorary General Secretary to The Normandy Veterans Association, Peter Hodge, said: "Nostalgia of previous events at Duxford ensured this to be the preferred location for the last en-masse gathering of veterans who have contributed to The Normandy Veterans Association, the most extensive and successful veteran association in the world.