Conquering Hadrian’s Wall for Homestart Uttlesford
- Credit: Archant
BLUSTERY and overcast conditions could not dampen the spirits of three intrepid fundraisers as they conquered the Hadrian’s Wall Half Marathon.
Maria Furlong, Simon Till and Tom Whelan, all from Saffron Walden, joined 250 eager participants on the 13.1-mile circular route close to a section of the World Heritage site. They raised over £4,600 for family charity Homestart Uttlesford.
Although there was the chance to see some breathtaking scenery, it was a challenging course held over mixed terrain consisting of grass path, forest track and road.
Maria said: “We arrived with some trepidation and set off on our trail not sure what lay ahead. The first section was a steep, winding road which really tested the legs, before turning onto fells, bogs and even a stile thrown in for good measure.
“After that was Wark Forest and a shingly, uneven path. It was pure relief to see the finish line – but well worth it.”
Through their efforts the trio raised thousands of pounds for Homestart. The charity provides help through a team of volunteers to parents with children under five, and provides essential support to families in difficulty.
The money will be much appreciated by the charity – £230 will train a new volunteer and £165 per month provides a family with a volunteer for home visiting support.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 3 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 4 Saffron Striders impress, Thompson strikes gold
- 5 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 6 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 7 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Debbie Bland Foundation launched in memory of kind mum
- 9 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
Maria, a co-ordinator with the charity, added: “Thank you so much to all who contributed – particularly to Hogan Lovells who donated £750. We are delighted the money will enable us to continue to support local families.”You can still sponsor Maria, Simon and Tom - visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/hadrianswall2013 and http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TomWhelan