Conservative chairman pays a visit
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a good old-fashioned political supper . The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a "good old-fashioned political supper".
The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club in Museum Street.
He gave an account of what the party has to do to win the next General Election before fielding a robust question and answer session.
Chairman of the Conservative Clubs and chairman of Saffron Walden Conservative Association town branch, Cllr Keith Eden, said Mr Pickles' visit was an ideal way to boost the profile of the club and to raise funds.
"The club has been in a precarious financial position and we're in the process of rescuing that," he said.
"It is part of our strategy to grow in terms of revenue and to get local and national politicians into what is an excellent venue.
- 1 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 2 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 3 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 4 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 5 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 6 Thaxted businesses meet Kemi Badenoch MP to talk about Small Business Saturday
- 7 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
- 8 Bumper weekend of Christmas events set for Saffron Walden
- 9 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
- 10 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
"More importantly, it's about reviving an interest in politics.
"We were lucky to have such a big-name guest, someone who has recently got himself promoted, in Eric Pickles.
"It was a really successful, good old-fashioned political supper.