Conservative chairman pays a visit
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a good old-fashioned political supper . The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a "good old-fashioned political supper".
The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club in Museum Street.
He gave an account of what the party has to do to win the next General Election before fielding a robust question and answer session.
Chairman of the Conservative Clubs and chairman of Saffron Walden Conservative Association town branch, Cllr Keith Eden, said Mr Pickles' visit was an ideal way to boost the profile of the club and to raise funds.
You may also want to watch:
"The club has been in a precarious financial position and we're in the process of rescuing that," he said.
"It is part of our strategy to grow in terms of revenue and to get local and national politicians into what is an excellent venue.
- 1 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 2 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 5 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Revealed: Essex hospital treatment waiting time data
- 8 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 9 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
- 10 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
"More importantly, it's about reviving an interest in politics.
"We were lucky to have such a big-name guest, someone who has recently got himself promoted, in Eric Pickles.
"It was a really successful, good old-fashioned political supper.