Conservative chairman pays a visit
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a good old-fashioned political supper . The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a "good old-fashioned political supper".
The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club in Museum Street.
He gave an account of what the party has to do to win the next General Election before fielding a robust question and answer session.
Chairman of the Conservative Clubs and chairman of Saffron Walden Conservative Association town branch, Cllr Keith Eden, said Mr Pickles' visit was an ideal way to boost the profile of the club and to raise funds.
You may also want to watch:
"The club has been in a precarious financial position and we're in the process of rescuing that," he said.
"It is part of our strategy to grow in terms of revenue and to get local and national politicians into what is an excellent venue.
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 5 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 6 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 7 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 10 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
"More importantly, it's about reviving an interest in politics.
"We were lucky to have such a big-name guest, someone who has recently got himself promoted, in Eric Pickles.
"It was a really successful, good old-fashioned political supper.