Conservative chairman pays a visit
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a good old-fashioned political supper . The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club
LOCAL Conservatives were given a major boost when party chairman Eric Pickles MP paid a visit for a "good old-fashioned political supper".
The straight-talking Yorkshireman addressed dinner-goers at the packed function at Saffron Walden Conservative Club in Museum Street.
He gave an account of what the party has to do to win the next General Election before fielding a robust question and answer session.
Chairman of the Conservative Clubs and chairman of Saffron Walden Conservative Association town branch, Cllr Keith Eden, said Mr Pickles' visit was an ideal way to boost the profile of the club and to raise funds.
You may also want to watch:
"The club has been in a precarious financial position and we're in the process of rescuing that," he said.
"It is part of our strategy to grow in terms of revenue and to get local and national politicians into what is an excellent venue.
- 1 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 2 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 3 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 4 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 5 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 6 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 7 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 8 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 9 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 10 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
"More importantly, it's about reviving an interest in politics.
"We were lucky to have such a big-name guest, someone who has recently got himself promoted, in Eric Pickles.
"It was a really successful, good old-fashioned political supper.