Conservative MP vows to contest next General Election
THE political heat in Uttlesford has been turned up this week with Conservative MP Sir Alan Haselhurst refuting claims that he will not run in the next general election. Rumours had been rife that the MP for Uttlesford would be offered a peerage to step u
THE political heat in Uttlesford has been turned up this week with Conservative MP Sir Alan Haselhurst refuting claims that he will not run in the next general election.
Rumours had been rife that the MP for Uttlesford would be offered a peerage to step up to the House of Lords, making way for a new candidate in the district.
However, the MP has told the Reporter that he is "100 per cent committed" and "up for the fight."
He added: "I still have a lot of issues to follow through, such as increasing the quality of trains in the area, and want the opportunity to do so in the New Year.
You may also want to watch:
"These rumours have gone around before but they are not true. I would welcome a peerage at some stage of course, but currently my mind is completely on this job and running again next year."
WHAT do you think? E-mail us at email@example.com or write to us at 54 High Street, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB10 1EE.
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 7 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 8 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 9 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
- 10 Strong start for Saffron Walden as competitive rugby returns with a bang.